04 October 2011

Apple crisp.

One of my favorite things about being back home is the season of Autumn. It is another beautiful rainy autumn day here. I know, I know, it sounds odd, but after living in the desert for almost eight years, I'm happy to see the rain. This morning I woke up to the sound of it pouring. What a wonderful sound!

A couple of weeks ago I went apple picking with my dear friend, Mary. It was a rainy day but that didn't stop us from grabbing a red wagon and heading out in to the orchard. I picked a half bushel and arrived home trying to decide what to do with all these baking apples (Cortland). I made slow cooker applesauce (only to find out my husband doesn't like applesauce). I made several apple crisp (because I found out my husband is crazy about apple crisp). Lastly, I made a cake (which will be the next blog post).

For some reason, I forgot my camera that day. The orchard was wet from the rain and nearly vacant. There was a little bit of fog in the non-orchard trees and a little dog named Mr. Spot that followed us for awhile. Next time, I'll remember the camera.

I made the applesauce the next morning, letting it simmer in the slow cooker for eight hours, filling the house with one of my favorite autumn scents. Later in the day I started on the apple crisp, which is incredibly simple. Four large apples, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, oats and brown sugar. Wonderful straight from the oven.







I can't wait to carve pumpkins and roast pumpkin seeds! September, October and November are my favorite months each year. Next week, we'll take a drive up north to see the foliage.

Next up: Apple Streusel Cake

4 comments:

  1. Makes me want to move back home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple crisp and fall go hand in hand and your crisp sounds wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took a bit of extra time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm soglad I did that. I really enjoy the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading! Happy to have you and I hope you have a great day too!

    ReplyDelete