03 April 2011

Eclairs

One of my favorite bloggers and bakers just came out with a new (and her first) cook book; Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar. I was so excited to get this in the mail from Amazon last week. I decided to make the eclairs.



I'll be honest, they did not come out perfectly. I think I made a mistake some where along the line with the pâte à choux. It should have more of a paste consistency and mine came out too runny. I was able to thicken it up, but it didn't come out with the proper eclair shell consistency, close, but no cigar. I think it may have been too hot today. I will try the again when we return from our honey moon! The pastry cream is perfection and instead of following the recipe as in the book, pumpkin eclairs, I went with the traditional flavor, plain pastry cream and chocolate on top.

Although the shells consistency isn't as light an airy as it should be, the flavor is correct. I have high hopes for my next attempt and admit I was a little intimidated this time around. This is one of my favorite pastries, so I think I was nervous. I'll be more confident next time knowing that this was not a complete disaster!

Any way, everyone should by the book, great recipes and the pictures are gorgeous!

B



No comments:

Post a Comment