30 October 2010

Recipes #43 and #44!

Happy Halloween everyone!!! This is one of my favorite holidays. Not so much for the dressing up and trick or treating but for the the Celtic holiday of Samhain (pronounced Sah-ween). It's about honoring the dead, celebrating the harvest and the end of summer. From my Irish calendar, "Samhain is Irish for "summer's end" and marks the end of the harvest and the beginning of the Celtic New Year. The festival celebrates nature's cycle of death and renewal, a time to acknowledge the beginning and ending of all things in life and nature." Admittedly, I also enjoy the macabre parts as well. I loved dressing up as a kid, being someone else for an entire night, walking around seeing all the jack o' lanterns lit and the way everyone decorated their yards.

In honor of Autumn and the harvest I made pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes with cream cheese icing on Thursday. I took them in to work to celebrate Halloween!

These cupcakes are moist and flavorful. I used bittersweet chocolate chips which provided a nice balance to the cream cheese icing. 

 Click below for more!






Tonight I carved a pumpkin and baked the seeds! I baked them coated with garlic, crushed red pepper, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I used a recipe I found on foodnetwork.com for Hilda's Roasted Pumpkin Seeds by Emeril Lagasse. They have a bit of a kick to them! Yum!
I hope everyone enjoys a safe and happy Samhain!

No comments:

Post a Comment